Sunday, June 23, 2024

Creating the Capacity to Experience Our Individual & Unique Nervous System

Our capacity to experience and perceive anything in our life stems from our nervous system. It carries all of our subconscious conditioning.

All of our nervous systems are formed differently. All of us have different capacities to experience different circumstances. All unique and distinct in their own ways.

Whenever we experience life with a mindset which focuses on 'should-have-been' instead of 'what-is', it creates conflict in our nervous system. From this emerges a surge of behaviours that strive to fill the void. This includes relentlessly pursuing your days based on 'what should be', instead of your strengths & personal preferences. This creates anxiety, the feeling of never being good enough, and constantly striving for betterment leading to exhaustion and burnout.




Our sense of being malfunctions when we constantly pursue anything based on our mind's timeline. Why? Because there is no way we can know what lies next in our journey. Anytime we step forward in a specific decision, different experiences appear for each of us.

A few days back, I experienced a surge of anxiety. I realized that I had experienced that because I was not feeling comfortable in my body. All my thoughts focused on this discomfort, and this was reflected in my body language as well.

Later I engaged in a yoga flow with breathwork practice that allowed me to attune to the current state of my nervous system. I felt relieved, comfortable and at home in my body. My breathing pattern also became deep and overall, I felt safe.

One of the ways to start being comfortable in ourselves is by attuning to our nervous system. Meeting the nervous system at its present state, without constantly forcing it to be something it's not.




Below are a few practices that can help you create the capacity to experience your nervous system:

1 Yoga (dynamic and natural flows)

2 Breathwork

3 Journalling

4 Embodiment Practises/ Any form of Body Movement

5 Natural movements with exaggerated reaches

6 Creation/ art of any form

7 Engaging with music


All of these practices can help you become present and comfortable with the current state of your nervous system. Remember, change doesn't happen through big leaps. A safe, deliberate and sustaining change happens through micro shifts. Happy Practising! 

No comments: