Friday, March 22, 2024

Relinquishing the Need to Play Roles

Today, I received an insight. 'What if I no longer played any roles?'. As I realized this, I felt the weight of my emotional responsibilities diffusing into thin air. We all are so accustomed to projecting people playing different roles, concerning us. We forget that they are individuals in their own right.

For one, I would meet myself where I am, as I am, not needing to pretend anymore. Respecting, regarding and honouring my needs. Even more so, I would meet people without imposing a projective role on them which is clearly unfair to them.

I noticed that I have always played roles concerning others, of their unconscious expectations of me. That of a daughter, of an older sister, of a professional, or even a nice person. I was so engrossed in keeping up with others' image of me, that I forgot to be myself.

We get so comfortable by setting people in a role. Because it gets easier to navigate them by predicting them. Rather than just being present with them, and getting to know them. 




I wish I learned to embrace my individuality, rather than diminishing it for the comfort of other people. This brought me to many places where my presence was of little value or regard.

But ever since I have become aware of the value I bring to any table - of people, places or circumstances, I have been naturally responding with assertive boundaries. When you get to a new place, navigating this might seem chaotic. But as long as you are practising meeting your standards again, and again - you teach other people to treat you in the same way.

How would you respond to a circumstance if you already have the inner freedom to be yourself? How would you respond when you know that you are brave enough to deal with the consequences of your responses?

Our sense of individualities is unique to each of us. Once we understand the goodness of honouring and expressing our true selves, going back to the old ways will never be an option, unless it is a conscious choice.   

No comments: