Friday, March 22, 2024

Breathing in Life

Today, as I was practising a spring equinox-inspired yoga flow, I received an insight. This wisdom taught me to breathe from different parts of the body. As I practised this, I realized, that I am breathing more deeply, with so much clarity. New breathing portals seemed to be blooming open as I practised this.

This meant that breathing from different areas opened my body in ways I didn't think possible. In fact, as I practised this, it's all I wanted to do today. Just keep breathing, and filling my lungs and body with life. More and more, again and again.

I am so grateful to have had this experience. It is an addition to the already existing body expression practices in my kitty. So, so humbled and gratified!



The practise:

You can be seated cross-legged on your mat, floor or grass. Hold one hand to your heart and the other on your belly. Close your eyes. Now take a few deep, comfortable breaths. Gradually, the breathing matches the energy of the current state of the body.

Slowly, move this awareness to different parts of your body. For instance, let's say you're feeling stagnant in your neck area. Imagine a new pair of nostrils in your neck area, and take a few deep breaths from here. When you do, you realize that your breaths are far more deeper than you could have imagined.

Similarly, after a while when the breathing gets to a plausible level, change the location of this nostril. These nostrils can be imagined on the surface of your body, or even inside the body - with your internal organs.

Don't go for too many parts at once. Select 2-3 at a time. Once you are regular with the practice, you can increase the number of locations, willfully and easily.

I would further suggest choosing these locations on how hidden or non-comprehensible they are as well. For instance, your rib cage, your shoulders, your elbows, your forearms, your gluteal area, the back of your thighs, your back in general, different areas of your head, your ears, your belly and your feet.

We are so used to keeping breathing unidirectionally - from the nose to the lungs or other parts of the body, that we do not pay attention to other possible directions.

No comments: