Friday, March 29, 2024

On Attachments

Attachment is a repeated narration that we provide for our circumstances. When a certain circumstance shows up in our lives, we perceive it through our biased lens. So we can interpret the circumstances as 'good' or 'bad'.

This bias is generally a culmination of our past experiences stored in our bodies. This includes our thought processes and opinions too. So rather than an intentional story that is provided toward an unknown experience, it is a reflexive response - a prediction of sorts. Even when it is not the same circumstance.

Attachments are tethers of the past. These stories, however, influence the patterns of repeated cycles. Unless we are aware of an attachment pattern governing our lives, we will be unable to disrupt it.

When we begin to perceive our life circumstances as a natural flow of events, we get to step out of the loop and not micromanage it. All our stress is generated when we try to control our circumstances.

I recently came across a theme in non-duality that fascinated me, and freed me, that - 'everything just is'. We analyse our life events - 'if I could have just done this, or if I knew better'. We assume we would have been in control of an event in hindsight.




But, the reality is, that we never get to experience hindsight in our present. The thing is that things wouldn't have been different, it's just how it is. This is why I have inferred that I need to do what I can right now with what I have, instead of imposing what-ifs based on external possibilities.

When we practise breaking these attachment patterns one story at a time, we realize that these bounds are only internal. It opens you up to reach out and experience new ways of life.

Attachments keep us bound to an illusion. At every step, we need to remember that we are not the story, and at any moment we have the power to challenge the old narratives and bring in the new.

It is a way of shattering many illusions and experiencing the true nature of your life

No comments: