I have a practice that I pursue a few times a day. Or the times that I feel overwhelmed. I take a step back from whatever I am doing. Take a few deep breaths to ease into relaxation mode. Then I just go look outside the window or sit with my plants. Just see what is outside. Just noticing. Curious. Revelling. Reserving the need to label, just being present.
I don't know what it is about this practice, but it instantly calms me down. I would say it reminds me of my insignificance. In the sense that this is a mighty world, I live in - with so much that I don't know about yet and some things, no matter how much I try to navigate towards it, that I might never know about. So little that is humanly possible for me to contribute to this mortal existence. But it's out there, and it exists. It has existed before me and will continue after me. All of this just reminds me of how precious it is right here, right now - to be alive in this miraculous existence.
When I intuitively learned this practice, it reminded me of what one felt looking out at the horizon - when on a beach or in the mountains. It was mindblowing to know that this practice could be compared to these landscapes. But maybe that is what the step back is about. When we are so engrossed in our experiences, the novelty of it fades away. We forget how incredible all of it is - right here. Trust me, when I say this - but you can experience this, right in your room. Even if doesn't have a window.
I usually practise this first when I wake up, then after a workout. Then in the evening, and the last one at night. Do try this and share your experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment