Thursday, October 7, 2021

An Exploration in Vulnerability

All this emotional work seems to have awakened within me, a curious little explorer, who wants to get to know her emotions a whole lot better, so she can keep nurturing herself. So, I decided that I am going to take up emotions that I'm curious about and dismantle them so I just get to know them even better... Rather, an unpacking of sorts. 

To begin with, vulnerability in its very essence, is to be bare. It is the art of practising being true in our own skin. 

Vulnerable + Ability: To be vulnerable means being exposed to the possibility of being hurt. In this case, emotionally. So, its the ability of being open to the possibility knowing this. It means to be able to gently SMASH the protective, outwardly-pleasing defenses that one has created, possibly to save themselves from being outlandish or just to 'fit-in'... and being brave enough to get through it in anyway possible.

Somehow, this was the first emotion that I was instinctively drawn to. I think the reason was because a lot of times we tend be scared to be vulnerable. I was curious as to why it is that we tend be afraid to put ourselves forth. We're all so complexly, rather, intricately put together atoms and molecules, as flesh bags (a term that I recently learned of, and that which cracks me up everytime! :D)

When do you say someone is vulnerable? I think its all about perspectives. Usually, when someone addresses as themselves being vulnerable, it means that they recognize an emotion, so deep, so inexplicable, that usually they may not show it. However, a certain circumstance is somehow nudging them to bare it all out anyway. I use the word 'bare' because a lot of times, we tend to mask our emotions to keep going through our daily routines 'normally'. 

When someone chooses to be vulnerable, it is an act of courage. Why courage you ask? Because the person, despite the external consequences chooses to speak out their truth. A lot of times one might be so scared to put across their thoughts. But expressing these thoughts, no matter what the outcome, feels necessary and sets them free. 


'Courage means being terrified, but going forward anyway'


When someone is vulnerable due circumstances completely external to them, it teaches them humility. These teaching moments show us that this beautiful existence ISN'T EVEN ABOUT US. Its about taking life, as lightly as we possibly can. It about sharing, its about taking care of one another, its about accepting that as humans we are as wonderfully flawed as flawed can be, celebrating one another just as, LAUGHING A LOT and BEING SILLY for at that end of the day, we are all at the mercy of the almighty force that blesses us.


Tough love!! (tee hee! :D)

We are the way we are, for reasons unknown, all beyond our own selves. Vulnerability in its truest essence is to reveal yourself to you. So, a lot of times, it may seem hard, but just being honest with your own self is the first step of beginning to know whoever it is that you are. So vulnerability, also means standing up for you, even when sometimes you don't understand yourself. It is OKAY to not know sometimes. Or even a lot of times. For, you'll ALWAYS know within. =)


'The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart'


It is the ability to put forward this true self. Many people have already been doing this. You may know a LOT of these beautiful guardian angels all around you. They easily accept, love, laugh things off, cherish simple moments, and simply take life with a pinch of salt. Saying this, these people aren't 'vulnerable'. They are simply the light in and of life :)

Many a times, vulnerability is seen as a form of weakness. Rather, it is PURE STRENGTH, as it emboldens the person to speak their truth. The more we practise it, the more our truth becomes our sense of being. I personally, am striving to reach this level of wholesomeness, and to hopefully get there one day. Until then, my intention is to simply practise as much as I possibly can 0:)

No comments: