Monday, November 22, 2021

Creatures of Flight

I'm all set to go out on a limb with this, with a topic I am still learning about. But this truly is something that has in the recent months captured my heart and now, and an interest that I hope to cultivate! Last year, when the pandemic forced most of the world indoors, the only (and gratefully, I must add) element that exhibited vastness available to me was my window. I could easily see the beautiful, ever open skies. 

Many a time, when I lay in wonder or to take a break from a heavy workout or just life, I would simply stare out into this openness. So, here I go writing about some birds that I have come to learn of and still getting to know more each day :)


House Sparrows: 

The first set of birds that specifically caught my attention were the house sparrows. On one rainy day, a few of this poofie (puffed up) sparrows were perched upon the railings of my window. And I simply couldn't stop staring at their cuteness. After this episode, everyday I'd admiringly look at them as they stopped by for a little bird song. And I still lovingly do. In the cool winter mornings, I love how they poof up their feathers and become the cutest furballs :) 

Another thing that they do is completely adorable are dust baths. There are little patches of sand in the gated community that i live in. One day as I came back from my daily run, I noticed little craters in the sand. This looked strange and I wondered what it could be. A few days later, on a bright morning, I saw these little birds rolling in the sand and it absolutely captured my heart!

Gosh darn adorable!! 

The next thing that I observed was that the sparrows were of two types. One that was a little darker, with a phantom mask kind of look (also looked kind of grumpy D: ) The other looked plain but so pure, capturing my heart. Turns out, the former sparrow is male, and the latter, female. 

Male on the left, and the cuter female on the right :D

These tiny birds and their chirping still continue to be the reason behind my simple everyday joys. 



Crows:

I always seem to associate crows with a hint of nostalgia. Whenever I'd visit my grandparents in the summer vacation, the sound of crows was what stood out to me while I'd laze around in the afternoon heat. When I hear them still now, it reminds me of the sweet days. Also, I feel like crows have this aura that feels like they're ancient, noble souls. Probably because I still associate them with my childhood. I feel a deep sort of reverence for them as well. 

I most definitely feel a homely familiarity with Crows :)



Also, looking at crows in pairs is absolute bliss! They look so mesmerized by each others' companionship. The rom-coms have got nothing on them! 

Kite:

I think most of us tend to be confused among large birds such as the eagle, falcon, and the kite. However, this I know is the kite because one of my professor's had once humorously told us that the bird we excitedly look out for as an eagle, is but a kite. 

Weeeeeee!

Unlike the other bird species, which we can usually see flying in a flock or sometimes in groups of 2-3, Kites usually can be seen flying in lone. It usually can be seen flying upwards from a height of about & over 15-20 m from the ground level. 

It's wings open up to a glorious span and are outstretched to its full extent in flight. When i looked at a Kite flying above, its wings hang above like a protective shade. Its chocolate brown color and the golden glow of the sun simply adds to this bird's extravagance. And when it flies, it looks like a magnificent, well built, steady paper airplane simply gazing through the open skies.


Mayna:

It is said that it is a good luck charm to see these birds in pairs. You can hear these birds twittering in the bright mornings, and oh, they're such a delight to hear! :) Every time I see them, the yellow design around their eyes remind me of superhero masks.

Posting one for good luck! :) 


Along with these usually spotted birds, I was introduced to some new bird species that instantly captured my curiosity.  

Common Tailor bird: 

This is a new bird I came across. I used to call it a hummingbird because of its tiny size. This bird hangs out in my mother's balcony garden in the mornings. . it hops around the lemongrass and the eucalyptus plants and admires the flowers and within a flash, flies away. It is a tiny bird with light shades of yellow and olive green on its body and long point orange beak. It is the sweetest little bird. I call it tiny because its size is smaller than that of a sparrow! Oh, and it chirps so melodiously. Totally makes my morning!

Do you see how adorably poofy it is??! 



Purple Rumped Sunbird: 

This is a beautiful neon bird, also tiny, but more stubby. Once I was fortunate enough to see three of these on rainy day on the window ledge. And they happened to be chirping their melodies in all of their glory. 

Hard to miss, cause of its beautiful neon yellowish color! 

White Spotted Fantail:  

The first time I saw the bird, it reminded me of a mini version of the peacock. All of its feathers, as its name suggests, open as a fan in all of its glory. Its brownish feathers gleams in the sunlight. The bird looks like a mini jet plane when it flies, with its small winged arms fully outstretched. Their chirps are loud, long and firm. 

Its flamboyant profile makes it look like it is ready for a performance


Red Vented Bulbul: 

For me, at first glance, the bird looked like a large bodied sparrow with a furry bear-like face. These distinctive features definitely makes it stand out from the other bird species.




Red Whiskered Bulbul:

Saw these outside my balcony for the first time ever. These birds are so lovely. Their red cheeks and black horn are their identifying feature. Also saw them in pairs. And I was blissfully glad after their appearance :) 

Oh their sweet cheeks!


Magpie Robin: 

This looked so similar to the fantail bird, mainly because of its dark and white colours. However, after some few glances, I realized that these are two different birds. 

Perched upon a tree branch, in absolute solitude


Pigeons: 

There's this quote that has quite captured my attention. 'On some days you're the statue, on the other days you're the pigeon'. Yes, last but not the least, the mighty, infamous, and don't give a damn where I poop, the Pigeon. I am one of those people (rather, still am) who absolutely lies in the 'I don't like Pigeons category'. They're gross and they're pooping all the time, everywhere. 

Definitely a class apart! 

However, as I began bird-watching this year, i observed how gracefully pigeons fly. YES! Don't believe me? Look out your window and watch their divine performance. As compared to all the other birds. So elegant, graceful, maybe even dance like I'd like to add. When I watch them glazing over the open skies at a tremendous height, I wonder what it's really like to be that pigeon. I probably still don't like them as much (hey, they still poop a LOT!!), but gosh darn, I get so dreamy-eyed when I see them glide in front of my window. Infact, when asked what bird are you, I wouldn't even hesitate even for a beat to reply that I would like to be related to a Pigeon! 

The names of many of these birds, I came across while I was writing this article. Its so fascinating to know that each have a name and I get to know them even better now. I might not know much right now, but I'm still observing and processing. I still have so much to learn and even more that I am curious about. I honestly still revel each day, at how wonderfully precious each of these birds are. And, I am so glad to have this keen interest in them. Hoping to add more to the list! 

Simply gazing at them alone taught me so many things about each of these birds. How each bird in their own species is also so distinct, like they have their own personality just as humans do. Many of the birds do not even sing in tune. It sounds like they simply express what instinctively comes to them, melodious or not. 


Lastly, the post reminds me of a song I'd learned in school. 

'She perched on the green lemon tree, the bird,

With colours so lovely to see, 

With her bright yellow bill, she pecked and pecked,

The leaves of the green lemon tree.

Aye, aye, aye, aye, the colours are fair to see,

But none of them can compare with, the bird on the green lemon tree' 


*PS: All the photos have been sourced from Google for the blog post. 

No comments: